Parent & Teacher Resources
We Believe in Picture Books
Candlewick has launched a yearlong video celebration of picture books called We Believe in Picture Books. They are sharing 365 videos about picture books - a new one each day - from authors, illustrators, staff, family, and friends. The videos are short, engaging, informal, and personal as each contributor shares what picture books mean to them, recommends favorite stories, and more.
Check it out!
- The Children's Room of the Central Library maintains a Parent Resource Center and a Teacher Resource Center chock full of materials on child development, curriculum support, test prep and more.
- Listed below are circulating multi-media kits for families and classrooms on topics ranging from potty training to conflict resolution.
- Teachers are invited to bring their classrooms to the library for a field trip. Librarians may also be available for outreach visits to schools, day care centers and other community agencies. Call the Children's Room at the Central Library or your local branch to make arrangements.
- Use our booklists to help select appropriate reading material for all ages and interests.
If you have any questions, feel free to call the Youth Services Coordinator at 388.4513.
- Story Kits
- These kits contain all the elements needed for parents or teachers to present a story program to young children.
- Family Reading Kits
- These kits, prepared by children's librarians at the Schenectady County Public Library, contain all the elements needed for parents or teachers to present a story program to young children.
- Families Count Kits
- These kits contain curriculum supportive materials related to math concepts.
- Families Sing Kits
- These kits present materials on a variety of music genres.
Helpful Links for Parents & Educators
Internet & Social Media
- Great Websites for Kids
- Sponsored by the Association for Library Service to Children a division of the
American Library Association. Clear, bright icons display subject categories and appear on every
page. Eye-catching thumbnail images provide a visual preview of
each great site represented.
- A Parents' Guide to Facebook
- By Anne Collier and Larry Magid,
Designed to help you understand
what Facebook is and how to use it safely.
- NetSmartz Workshop
- Information on keeping kids safe on the Internet
Reading & Literacy
- Literacy Resource Directory
- A resource of literacy programs in Schenectady County, including emergent literacy, tutoring/homework help for children and youth, family literacy, financial literacy, and adult literacy programs.
- Story Blocks
- An online video collection of songs and rhymes for young children in both English and Spanish.
- Penguin Summer Reads Brochure
- Simple and fun summer reading suggestions for
parents, caregivers, and teachers.
- Grow Up Reading
- Age appropriate reading support
Parenting & Education
- NAEYC for Families
- Sponsored by the National Association for the Education of Young Children, this site contains information on parenting, education, reading & writing, finding child care and more.
- Kids Against Bullying
- Helps kids identify and respond to bullying using games, videos, contests and more.
- Capital District Child Care Coordinating Council
- A clearinghouse for parents, employers and child care providers.
- Teachers First
- A web resource for teachers, by teachers.
- PBS Teachers
- A wealth of information and lesson plans related to local and national standards.
- WMHT's Ready to Learn
- Uses the educational resources of PBS Children's TV/Web to promote school readiness in children.
- Kids Out and About
- Albany's online resource for kids and families. Sign up for the free newsletter!
- Disney Family Fun
- Crafts, party planning, recipes, games and more.
- Great Websites for Parents, Caregivers, Teachers & Others
- Sponsored by the Association for Library Service to Children,a division of the
American Library Association.
Multi-media Kits, helpful links, and other resources for parents and educators.
Literacy starts at birth. Here are some resources to help make your child a life-long reader.
Are you looking for something to read? Do you want to play some games? Do you need help with your homework? Then this is the place to go!
We have fun and educational programs for kids from birth on up. From fingerplays, stories, and rhymes to science, art and cooking fun, we have something for every child.