Schenectady County Public Library
Effective July 1, 2013, there will be policy changes, as well as new hours at the Central Library and all Branches.
Story Your World through Writing & Storytelling!
Teen Writing Camp for Kids with Marni Gillard & Jack Rightmyer
July 22-26 from 9:30am-3pm
Once again, Schenectady County teens entering grades 6-9 will have an opportunity to participate in our popular Teen Writing Camp. In this writing and storytelling workshop students will be encouraged to experiment with plot and character through storytelling and drafting. There will be opportunities for students to choose their own writing topics and to perform their writing aloud. There will be a few field trips to Schenectady County locations as a way to stimulate creative ideas.
Applications are online or at any SCPL Branch. For more information or if you have any questions, contact Serena Butch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 388.4545.
Summer Reading Fun for All Ages!
- Dig into Reading: Pre-School Summer Reading Club: June 17-August 23
- Pick up an activity sheet for reading with your pre-schooler this summer. Turn it in for a small prize!
- Dig into Reading: Children's Reading Club: June 17-August 23
- Pick up a reading record and put a sticker on it for every day you read. When you get to the end of a row, pick up a small prize and fill out a raffle ticket for prize drawings all summer.
- Beneath the Surface: Teen Reading Club: June 17-August 23
- Pick up a reading record and write down the books you read. Get a prize after reading 2 books and 5 books. Also earn a raffle ticket for each book read and extra raffle tickets for filling out a short review on our website or in the library. Prize drawings throughout the summer.
- Groundbreaking Reads: Adult Reading Club: June 20-August 15
- Sign up for the Adult Summer Reading Club at any SCPL branch. Then read and attend programs for chances to win ASRC prizes, including a Kindle Fire! Here's how:
Read and fill out a book summary. Earn a raffle ticket for each summary submitted.
Take the Adult Summer Reading Challenge: Groundbreaking Reads of the 20th Century. Earn two tickets for each title! The more you read, the more chances you have to win.
Attend programs and receive a raffle ticket for each one.
Here's What's Happening
- SCPL Board of Trustees Meeting
- Next meeting: Thursday, June 20, 2013 at 6:30pm, Dixon Board Room, Central
View minutes from
the May 23, 2013 meeting.
- The Trail is There
- with Jennifer Pharr Davis
Thursday, June 20 at 7pm, McChesney Room, Central Library
- Pre-school Summer Reading Kick-off: A Musical Adventure
- with Tom Gardner
Tuesday, June 25 at
10:30am, McChesney Room, Central Library
- Underground Adventures
- with Emily Davis and the Northeastern Cave Conservancy- suitable for all ages!
Saturday, June 29 from 2-4pm, McChesney Room, Central Library
- Music for Little Ones with Lisa Russo
- Friday, July 12 at 10:30am, Scotia; Wednesday, July 17 at 10am, Quaker Street; & Tuesday, July 23 at 10am, Rotterdam
- NYSCA Book Discussion: Sutton by J. R. Moehringer
- Facilitated by Rob Edelman
Monday, July 15 at 7pm, Swanker Board Room, Central Library
- Food Mood and Smart Snacking
- with the Capital District Child Care Coordinating Council
Thursdays, July 18 & August 8 from 11am-1pm, Slater Program Room, Central Library
- Live Right: Gardening, Sprouting, and Summer Wellness
- with Colonie ShopRite dietitian Amy Imler, RD, CDN
Tuesday, July 23 at 6:30pm, McChesney Room, Central Library
- NYSCA Book Discussion: The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman
- Facilitated by Susannah Risley
Monday, August 5 at 7pm, Swanker Board Room, Central Library
- Summer Reading Closing Party and Ice Cream Social
- Feast on treats! Share favorite books! Summer reading raffles will be held.
Thursday, August 15 at 6:30pm, McChesney Room, Central Library