The mission of the Schenectady County Public Library is to satisfy our community's educational, informational, cultural and recreational needs by providing free and open access to a comprehensive range of materials, services and programs.
The Library's Interlibrary Loan service brings books, theses, serials on microfilm, and photocopied periodical articles to SCPL patrons from academic, special, public, and school district libraries in the Capital District.
In conjunction with MVLS, we can request materials from across the country and Canada. Most of the loans are free. However, occasionally the lending library may charge the patron a fee for copies or materials that are rare.
Changes to ILL requests handling at MVLS effective January 1, 2011
To request items from beyond the SALS/MVLS system through interlibrary loan, patrons must:
- Have a library card from the MVLS service area.
- Be a patron in good standing.
- Have a current mail address and telephone number where they can be reached.
- Agree to comply with any restrictions on the use of materials and return materials on time and in the same condition in which they were received.
- New Borrowers (holding a library card for 30 or fewer days) must use interlibrary loan materials in the library and not check them out.