The mission of the Schenectady County Public Library is to satisfy our community's educational, informational, cultural and recreational needs by providing free and open access to a comprehensive range of materials, services and programs.
*Central - Database is only available at the Central Library.
All other databases are accessible from home 24/7! Call 518.388.4511 for assistance.
- Academic OneFile provided by NOVEL
- Features peer-reviewed, full-text articles from the world's leading journals and reference sources with extensive coverage of the sciences, technology, medicine, the arts, theology, literature and more. The articles are available in both PDF and HTML full-text. Updated daily.
- America's Newspapers
- This full-text database includes The Daily Gazette (August 15, 1997-present), The Times Union (March 1986-present), The Saratogian (June 25, 1985-present), and other U.S. newspapers.
- Ancestry (Central)
- Birth, marriage, and death records, U.S. immigration collection, and more.
- Business Insights: Essentials provided by NOVEL
- Formerly Business and Company Resource Center. Search for company and industry information. Includes full-text news articles, investment reports, and financial information on companies.
- EBSCO Databases
- MasterFILE Premier as well as the EBSCO databases provided by NOVEL which include Primary Search(Searchasaurus), Funk & Wagnall's New World Encyclopedia and Encyclopedia of Animals.
- EBSCO MasterFILE Premier, partially provided by NOVEL
- This database contains full text for nearly 1,700 periodicals covering general reference, business, health, education, general science, multicultural issues and much more. Included periodicals are Consumer Reports (Jan. 1991-present), Time (May 1990-present), and Newsweek (Jan. 1990-present).
- eLibrary Elementary by NOVEL (Remote)
eLibrary Elementary by NOVEL (Central)
- Contains over 140 magazines and books for elementary students. Also includes the American Heritage Dictionary.
- Gale PowerSearch
- Users will be able to search multiple databases all at once. Databases include: Academic OneFile, InfoTrac Newsstand, Health Reference Center Academic, New York State Newspapers, and more.
- Gannett Newsstand by NOVEL (Remote)
Gannett Newsstand by NOVEL (Central)
- Contains over 85 Gannett newspapers, 6 of
which are New York newspapers. These include the Ithaca Journal,
Poughkeepsie Journal, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, Journal News (White Plains), Press and Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton) and Star-Gazette (Elmira).
- General OneFile provided by NOVEL
- Contains full-text news and periodical articles on a wide range of topics: business, computers, current events, economics, education, environmental issues, and much more. Full-text articles, many with images, are available. Updated daily.
- GreenFILE provided by EBSCO
- Focuses on the relationship between human beings and the environment, with topics ranging from global warming to recycling to alternate fuel sources.
- Grolier Online by NOVEL (Remote)
Grolier Online by NOVEL
- Includes Encyclopedia Americana (grade 8 and up), Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia (grade and up) and The New Book of Knowledge (grade 3 and up).
- Health Reference Center Academic provided by NOVEL
- Full text of nursing and allied health journals, plus a variety of personal health information sources.
- InfoTrac Newsstand provided by NOVEL
- Search a collection of over 1000 newspapers, both national and international.
- Learn a new language. Choose from 38 languages including Arabic, English, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Spanish and more. Watch LiveMocha at a Glance.
- Morningstar (Remote)
- Research companies, mutual funds, exchange-traded funds, and more.
- National Newspaper Index provided by NOVEL
- Access to the indexing of America's top five newspapers including The Christian Science Monitor, Los Angeles Times, and The Washington Post.
- New York State Newspapers provided by NOVEL
- Search this database of 28 major New York state newspapers, including full-text articles from The New York Times (July 1985-present).
- NoveList Plus
- Includes information on both fiction and non-fiction titles, including recommended reading lists, book discussion guides, and author read-alikes.
- OneClick Audio
- Browse a growing collection of best-selling, classic and award-winning audio titles, with more being added each month. Choose from thousands of high-quality titles that are compatible with virtually all portable players-including iPods, iPhones, and many other portable listening devices-for 24/7 access to audiobooks.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- This resource, drawing on the popular Greenhaven Press series, covers all the hot social issues of the day to help students explore topics from all perspectives. Users will be able to analyze data, complete writing assignments, and prepare for debates by exploring podcasts, pro/con viewpoint essays, over 300 primary source documents, academic journals, biographies of social activists and reformers, and more. Full-text periodical and newspaper articles are added daily.
- Reference USA (Remote)
Reference USA (Central)
- This business database contains 14 million U.S. businesses with verified, accurate data; it is updated monthly. Also, the residential database includes the phone numbers of 135 million U.S. households. Small business owners find this resource to be useful for market research.
- Teacher Reference Center provided by EBSCO
- Provides indexing and abstracts for more than 270 of the most popular teacher and administrator journals and magazines to assist professional educators.
- Value Line (Remote)
Value Line (Central)
- Features Value Line Investment Survey, including small and mid-cap companies, the Mutual Fund Survey, and more.